About The Star
Rising Star Missionary Baptist Church originated in October 1897 by Rev. Braxton with just a few members on N.9th Street. In 1955 the 12th Pastor of Rising Star Rev. J.C. Smith implemented youth Sunday. Also, under the Pastorage of Rev. J.C. Smith on July 26, 1975 the current site on 132 West Cherry Street was purchased. Entry date was August 10, 1975 and by 1995 the church was fully remodeled .
Rising Star Missionary Baptist Church has always valued doing missionary work throughout the community. In 1992 Rising Star began giving Scholarships to high school graduates. In May 1995 Rising Star started the first African American Boy Scout Troop Pack #107 in Griffin, Georgia. In 2004 Rising Star hosted its first Empowerment Community Day and food and entertainment were provided. In 2005 the Community Resource Center was built which now houses the Abundant Life Soup Kitchen. Rising Star also runs a mentorship program for both young girls and boys.
December 31, 2003 Rev. Gerod Duff and First Lady Lawanda Duff took over the helm of the church. Rev. Gerod Duff's first official duty as Pastor was in March of 2004 with both a morning and afternoon service. 2010 Rising Star hosted a youth summer camp. 2012 Pastor Duff was recognized as an outstanding minister in the state Georgia.